Note: New Reddit look may not highlight links. See old look here. A copy is hosted on GitHub for better reading experience. Check it out, contains photo of the month! Also on Medium
dcrd: Significant optimization
in signature hash calculation, bloom filters support was removed
, 2x faster startup thanks to in-memory full block index
, multipeer work advancing
, stronger protection
against majority hashpower attacks. Additionally, code refactoring and cleanup, code and test infrastructure improvements.
In dcrd and dcrwallet developers have been experimenting
with new modular dependency and versioning schemes using vgo. @orthomind is seeking feedback for his work on reproducible builds
Decrediton: 1.2.1 bugfix release
, work on SPV has started
, chart additions are in progress. Further simplification of the staking process is in the pipeline (slack
Politeia: new command line tool
to interact with Politeia API, general development is ongoing. Help with testing will soon be welcome: this issue
sets out a test plan, join #politeia
to follow progress and participate in testing.
dcrdata: work ongoing on improved design
, adding more charts
and improving Insight API support.
Android: design work advancing
Decred's own DNS seeder (dcrseeder
) was released
. It is written in Go and it properly supports service bit filtering, which will allow SPV nodes to find full nodes that support compact filters.
Ticket splitting service by @matheusd entered
beta and demonstrated
an 11-way split on mainnet. Help with testing is much appreciated, please join #ticket_splitting
to participate in splits, but check this doc
to learn about the risks. Reddit discussion here
Trezor support is expected
to land in their next firmware update
Decred is now supported
by Riemann, a toolbox from James Prestwich to construct transactions for many UTXO-based chains from human-readable strings.
Atomic swap with Ethereum on testnet was demonstrated
at Blockspot Conference LATAM.
Two new faces were added
Dev activity stats for May: 238 active PRs, 195 master commits, 32,831 added and 22,280 deleted lines spread across 8 repositories. Contributions came from 4-10 developers per repository. (chart
Hashrate: rapid growth from ~4,000 TH/s at the beginning of the month to ~15,000 at the end with new all time high of 17,949. Interesting dynamic in hashrate distribution
across mining pools: coinmine.pl share went down from 55% to 25% while F2Pool up from 2% to 44%. [Note: as of June 6, the hashrate continues to rise and has already passed 22,000 TH/s]
Staking: 30-day average ticket price is 91.3 DCR (+0.8), stake participation is 46.9% (+0.8%) with 3.68 million DCR locked (+0.15). Min price was 85.56. On May 11 ticket price surged to 96.99, staying elevated for longer than usual after such a pump. Locked DCR peaked at 47.17%. jet_user on reddit suggested
that the DCR for these tickets likely came from a miner with significant hashrate.
Nodes: there are 226 public listening and 405 normal nodes per dcred.eu
. Version distribution: 45% on v1.2.0 (up from 24% last month), 39% on v1.1.2, 15% on v1.1.0 and 1% running outdaded versions.
Obelisk team posted
an update. Current hashrate estimate of DCR1 is 1200 GH/s at 500 W and may still change. The chips came back at 40% the speed of the simulated results, it is still unknown why. Batch 1 units may get delayed 1-2 weeks past June 30. See discussions on decred
and on siacoin
that 7940 DCR1 units were sold in Batches 1-5, while Lynmar13 shared
his projections of DCR1 profitability (reddit
A new Chinese miner for pre-order was noticed by our Telegram group. Woodpecker WB2 specs 1.5 TH/s at 1200 W, costs 15,000 CNY (~2,340 USD) and the initial 150 units are expected to ship on Aug 15. (pow8.com
Another new miner is iBelink DSM6T: 6 TH/s at 2100 W costing $6,300 (ibelink.co
). Shipping starts from June 5. Some concerns and links were posted in these two threads
A new mining pool is available
. It uses PPLNS model and takes 1% fee.
Another infrastructure addition is tokensmart.io
, a newly audited stake pool with 0.8% fee. There are a total of 14 stake pools
- Upbit added DCKRW and DCUSDT pairs. A user reported that DCR deposits and withdrawals are now available.
- CoinEx announced the launch of DCBTC and DCBCH pairs.
- Bleutrade added DCUSDT pair. Note their reply to our tweet. It was the first exchange to list Decred minutes after launch.
- Brazilian exchange OmniTrade added DCBRL fiat pair following a poll. Worth noting that it is one of the first to integrate Trezor sign-in.
- Bittrex added DCUSDT pair. Withdrawal fee was lowered to 0.01 DCR per user's report.
- Cryptopia enabled DCUSDT pair too.
- There are reports that DCR was added to Abucoins and Tor Exchange but we don't know much about them.
an update that allows one to trade cryptocurrencies, including
@i2Rav from i2trading
is now offering two sided OTC market liquidity on DCUSD in #trading
, payments solution for point of sale and e-commerce, integrated
Decred. (missed in April issue)
CoinPayments, a payment processor supporting Decred, developed
an integration with @Shopify
that allows connected merchants to accept cryptocurrencies in exchange for goods.
An update from VotoLegal:
michae2xl: Voto Legal: CEO Thiago Rondon of Appcívico, has already been contacted by 800 politicians and negotiations have started with four pre-candidates for the presidency (slack, source tweet)
Blockfolio rolled out Signal Beta with Decred in the list
. Users who own or watch a coin will automatically receive updates pushed by project teams. Nice to see this Journal made it to the screenshot!
Placeholder Ventures announced
that Decred is their first
public investment. Their Investment Thesis
is a clear and well researched overview of Decred. Among other great points it noted the less obvious benefit of not doing an ICO:
By choosing not to pre-sell coins to speculators, the financial rewards from Decred’s growth most favor those who work for the network.
Alex Evans, a cryptoeconomics researcher who recently joined Placeholder, posted
his 13-page Decred Network Analysis
March–April survey results (pdf
). It analyzes 166 responses and has lots of interesting data. Just an example:
"I own DECRED because I saw a YouTube video with DECRED Jesus and after seeing it I was sold."
May targeted advertising report released
. Reach @timhebel for full version.
More creative promos by @jackliv3r: Contributing
, Stake Now
, The Splitting
, Forbidden Exchange
, Atomic Swaps
Reminder: Stakey has his own Twitter account
where he tweets about his antics and pours scorn on the holders of expired tickets.
"Autonomy" coin sculpture is available
in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Jake Yocom-Piatt presented "Decentralized Central Banking". Note the mini stakey on one of the photos. (article
, photos: 1 2 album
) Wicked Crypto Meetup
in Warsaw, Poland. (video
, photos: 1 2
) Decred Polska Meetup
in Katowice, Poland. First known Decred Cake. (photos: 1 2
) Austin Hispanic Hackers Meetup
in Austin, USA. Consensus 2018
in New York, USA. See videos in the Media section. Select photos: booth
, moon boots
, giant stakey
. Many other photos and mentions were posted
on Twitter. One tweet summarized Decred pretty well:
One project that stands out at #Consensus2018 is @decredproject. Not annoying. Real tech. Humble team. #BUIDL is strong with them. (@PallerJohn) Token Summit
in New York, USA. @cburniske
from Placeholder talked "Governance and Cryptoeconomics" and spoke highly of Decred. (twitter coverage: 1 2
(from 32 min)) Campus Party
in Bahia, Brazil. João Ferreira aka @girino and Gabriel @Rhama were introducing Decred, talking about governance and teaching to perform atomic swaps. (photos
Decred was introduced
to the delegates from Shanghai's Caohejing Hi-Tech Park, organized by @ybfventures
Second Decred meetup in Hangzhou, China. (photos
) Madison Blockchain
in Madison, USA. "Lots of in-depth questions. The Q&A lasted longer than the presentation!". (photo
) Blockspot Conference Latam
in Sao Paulo, Brazil. (photos: 1
- Decred Australia Meetup in Melbourne, Australia on June 12. Organized by YBF Ventures, all backgrounds are welcome.
- Brazil: meetup in Brasilia on June 13, meetup in Belo Horizonte on June 16 and Campus Party Brasilia on June 27.
- O'Reilly Open Source Convention in Portland, USA on July 18-19. Unlike many "regular" events this one is developer focused. @raedah's team will attend.
- If you are interested in Decred event in San Francisco Bay Area please check this thread.
There is a community initiative by @vj to organize information related to events in a repository
. Jump in #event_planning
channel to contribute.
Decred scored B (top 3) in Weiss Ratings
and A- (top 8) in Darpal Rating
Chinese institute is developing
another rating system for blockchains. First round included
). Upon release
Decred ranked 26. For context, Bitcoin ranked 13.
- Team Spotlight: Decred, Pedal Steel Guitar, and Thoughts on Bitcoin From an Exodus Developer (medium.com, missed in April issue)
- Decred: A Cryptocurrency That Combines PoW, PoS (investopedia.com, translated to Spanish and Russian)
- Decred Price Booms on Consensus 2018 Publicity (cryptovest.com)
- Decred Leads By Example With Fair Governance (cryptodaily.co.uk)
- Graph showing your ticket's chance to vote on any given day (twitter)
- Decred: More Steps to Fame, as Price Shoots Above $110 (cryptovest.com)
- Sole Survivor: Decred Unaffected in Latest Market Downturn (cryptovest.com)
- Placeholder VC Puts Money on Decred to Rival Bitcoin (btcmanager.com)
- Decred Is The Most Undervalued Cryptocurrency With A 15% Dividend-Like Yield, Possibly The Next Bitcoin (seekingalpha.com)
- Decred Coin News: What makes Decred coin price to go over $100? (theoofy.com)
- Asian Cryptocurrency Trading Update: Only Decred Showing a Gain (newsbtc.com)
- Why Decred? Let the community tell you! by Noah Pierau (medium.com)
- A post by @DecredKing arguing being first in crypto is not enough (medium.com)
- Why Decred is the new Bitcoin (globalcoinreport.com)
- The Long-Term Bullish Case for Decred by Ben Davidow (medium.com)
- Hardware Companies Are Launching Dedicated ASIC Miners for Decred (btcmanager.com)
- Iterative Capital partner Chris Dannen and journalist Ben Schiller speak with Marco and Jonathan from Decred at Consensus 2018 (soundcloud)
- Decred Review: What is DCR, the Decred Community & Possible Challenges by BitBoy Crypto (youtube)
- Decred Founder: Bitcoin Paved Way, Phase 2 Will Shock You! (Marco Peereboom) by Pure Blockchain Wealth (youtube)
- Decred & Blocknet: Revolutionary governance for every community feat. JZ at Consensus 2018 (youtube)
- Decred coin - Will it be better than Bitcoin? by Bitassist (youtube)
Community stats: Twitter 39,118 (+742), Reddit 8,167 (+277), Slack 5,658 (+160). Difference is between May 5 and May 31.
Reddit highlights: transparent up/down voting
on Politeia, combining
LN and atomic swaps, minimum viable superorganism
, the controversial debate
on Decred contractor model (people wondered
about true motives behind the thread), tx size and fees discussion
, hard moderation case
of ASICs on price, another "Why Decred?" thread
with another excellent pitch by solar, fee analysis
showing how ticket price algorithm change was controversial with ~100x cut in miner profits, impact
of ticket splitting on ticket price, recommendations
on promoting Decred, security against double spends
and custom voting policies.
@R3VoLuT1OneR posted a preview of a proposal
from his company for Decred to offer scholarships for students. dcrtrader
gained a couple of new moderators, weekly automatic threads were reconfigured to monthly and empty threads were removed. Currently most trading talk happens on #trading and some leaks to decred
. A separate trading sub offers some advantages: unlimited trading talk, broad range of allowed topics